Serves 4 - 5
- 1 medium to large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into smallish florets
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp sundried tomato pesto
- ¾ cup trim milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs (you can use fresh basil if you have it)
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
Spray a medium sized baking dish with cooking spray and heat oven to 200 degrees C.
Precook pumpkin and broccoli in the microwave until just tender.
Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add prepared onion and garlic and cook gently, stirring, for about 5-8 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Add the precooked pumpkin and broccoli and toss to mix.
Tip into the baking dish and press down gently.
Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together and pour evenly over the vegetables. Place tomato slices on top, then scatter mixed (or fresh) herbs on the tomato. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan on top and place in the oven for about 45-55 minutes, or until it is just cooked and the egg no longer runny.
Makes 4 big slices. Serve with a side salad if you wish.
*It’s a good idea to keep a bag of grated Parmesan in the freezer for use in frittatas, omelettes and slices like this.