Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- 700g bottle of pasta sauce (I used Home Brand) + additional water
- 2 large onions
- Few sticks of celery (optional)
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 12 button mushrooms (or whatever you have)
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped, or two teaspoons of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh, torn basil leaves or 1-2 tsp dried herbs
- 400g of cubed, skinned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 x 400g cans of beans (kidney, cannellini or similar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small amount of grated parmesan and plain, low fat yoghurt to serve
Spray a large non stick pan with cooking spray and sauté onions over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, celery, mushrooms, smoked paprika and garlic and stir until veggies are tender, around 3 minutes.
Add pasta sauce, sugar, pumpkin, beans, herbs and additional water if required (rinse out the sauce jar and use that water). Simmer for about 20 minutes, season to taste and serve with one teaspoon of grated parmesan per serve on top, plus 1 tablespoon of the yoghurt.
This is delicious served over a jacket potato or kumara.