Tomato, Veggie and Beef/Chicken Soup
- 2-3 medium onions, diced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 sticks celery, sliced thinly
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 100g tomato paste
- 1 litre beef or chicken or vegetable stock
- 350g lean steak or chicken, diced
- 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- 1 level teaspoon of sugar
- 100g dried soup mix
- 50g dried red lentils (OR 150g dried soup mix instead)
- Water – 3 cups or more, depending on desired thickness of soup**
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese to serve – optional
* You can add more or less of the veggies and herbs.
** Keep an eye on the water level/thickness of soup while cooking and add more water if required. You don’t want to make the soup too thin.
Spray a large stock pot or non stick pot with cooking spray and heat over low-ish heat. Add onions and sweat gently for 10 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots and cook over low – medium heat, stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes. Add everything else apart from Parmesan.
Place lid on pot and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until the soup mix is tender. Check and adjust seasoning.
Serve with a little shaved Parmesan cheese on top.