Tomato, Vegetable and Lentil Soup
- 2 medium – large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic from a jar (or two fresh garlic cloves chopped)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small cubes
- 3 x 400g cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 x 130g can tomato paste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 scant teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tsp chicken stock powder + 3 cups boiling water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: Plain low fat yoghurt and chopped parsley to serve
Spray a large non stick pan and sweat the onions and garlic over a moderate heat. Add a little water to the pan if you need more moisture. Add chopped carrot and cook a couple of minutes until starting to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the yoghurt + parsley for serving.
Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
Serve with the yoghurt and chopped parsley if desired. Approximately 200 calories per serve.