Tomato Chicken Thighs
Serves 4-6 depending on the size of the thighs
This can be cooked in a slow cooker or the oven, I just found that I didn’t have a big enough casserole to fit it in so I used my slow cooker dish in the oven (and melted the handle!)
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on or off (off for lower fat version)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or sliced finely
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- Jar passata (I used Leggo’s 700g bottle)
- 2 tins of diced tomatoes
- Handful of fresh basil if you have it, or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or just use 2-3 tsp of mixed herbs into total)
- Salt and pepper to taste
You could add other veggies such a zucchini, olives, etc, just whatever you have available.
Brown the thighs in an oiled pan and place in your baking dish. Sauté the onions and garlic, then add the celery and mushrooms until softened. Add the cans of tomatoes and herbs and season. Tip on top of the browned thighs. Put the lid on the casserole dish and bake at 180 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours until it is tender.
If you are using a slow cooker, you may not need two cans of tomatoes. Just see how much liquid there is after adding one can.
Serve with fibrous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and beans.