- 800g very lean mince
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 sticks of celery, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, small cubes
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 Tbs tomato sauce
- 3 Tbs Worcester sauce
- 1 packet Weight Watchers brown onion gravy made up with 2 cups of boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 level Tbs cornflour plus enough cold water to mix to a paste
Spray a large non stick pan that has a lid with non stick spray and heat over medium heat. Add mince and brown, breaking it up as it is cooking. Add the vegetables and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies soften.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cornflour mixture, stir and bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Add more water if required.
Add cornflour mixture, bring to the boil and thicken, then reduce heat and cook a further 4 minutes, stirring.
Serve with extra fibrous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and beans.
This is also a good base for shepherd’s pie.
* You can buy rump or topside steak when it is on special, trim all visible fat off it and then mince it yourself if you have a powerful food processor.