Scrumptious Roast Veggie and Chicken Soup
- 2-3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 300g kumara, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Rock salt
- 4 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade (I used 2 x Continental stock pots + 4 cups water)
- 500g shredded, cooked chicken
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup water extra
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 200g C.
- Spray a large oven dish generously with cooking spray.
- Toss the vegetables to coat in the oil and sprinkle with a little rock salt. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large stockpot. Add the chicken, herbs, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook while the vegetables are roasting, about 15 minutes.
- Add half the vegetables to the soup, and place the other half in a blender with the additional cup of water. Make sure to put all of the onion quarters into the blender.
- Add the vegetable puree and baby spinach to the soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is hot.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.