Rich Beef Casserole
- 800g topside steak trimmed of fat and cut into small bite sized pieces
- 4 medium onions sliced
- 4 -5 sticks of celery sliced
- 3 medium carrots sliced into rings
- 2 medium red capsicum chopped
- 3 teaspoons Maggi stock powder (I used chicken, but whatever you have)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce or ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
- 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour + cold water to mix
Spray a large non stick pan (preferably one that has a lid and which can go in the oven too) with cooking spray and heat over moderate heat. Add beef, turn to seal and lightly brown, add onions and celery and cook three minutes longer. Add the rest of the vegetables.
Mix the sauces, stock and rosemary with the hot water and stir to dissolve then pour over the meat mixture. Season and place in 170 degree oven for about three hours, or until the meat is very tender. Mix the cornflour with sufficient cold water to form a loose ‘paste’. Stir into casserole and mix well. Place casserole back in oven for about 10 minutes.