Under 15 minute meals for when you are in a rush
Here are some suggestions for a healthy, super quick meal when you need to grab something fast. Any of these are still a far better option than a takeaway and they are a fraction of the cost with very little cleaning up to do.
Always keep some protein items like eggs, tins of fish, cottage cheese and whey powder on hand so that you can quickly make a meal.
Bags of baby spinach and the various slaw mixes (broccoslaw, immunoslaw, etc) keep well in the fridge. If you prefer hot veggies, but are likely to run short of time to shop, then keep bags of frozen veggies on hand to add to various dishes.
- Omelette. 2 eggs + 2 Tbs water + salt and pepper. Whisk, pour into sprayed pan and as it starts to cook add chopped veggies of your choice (mushrooms, red onion, capsicum, asparagus, tomato) and top with 1 Tbs of grated cheese. Serve on a bed of baby spinach leaves if you have them.
- Hard boiled eggs + big salad and a lite dressing or oil.
- Can of salmon, tuna or sardines + salad or bag of Steamfresh veggies.
- Hot chicken from the supermarket + frozen veggies or salad. Still quicker than waiting for a takeaway!
- Corn Thins topped with sliced or grated cheese and slices of tomato. Zap in the microwave until the cheese is melted.
- Smoothie. Whey powder + fruit + seeds or LSA + trim milk or water. Add greens if desired.
- Jacket cook a potato or kumara in the microwave and top with either scrambled eggs or cottage cheese. Ideally have some veggies/salad on the side.
Don’t let lack of planning lead to poor quality meal choices.