Low Carb Meat Pie
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 600g beef or lamb mince
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- A few mushrooms, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or dried basil
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste – choose the lowest carb version, or use pesto
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 250g cottage cheese
- 150g grated tasty cheese
- 1 egg
- Fry onion and garlic in oil on medium heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the meat and keep frying. Add the zucchini and mushrooms, then the salt and pepper and the oregano or basil.
- Add tomato paste or pesto. Add water. Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 20 more minutes while you’re making the pie dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a food processor for a few minutes until the dough turns into a ball. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also mix together the dough with a fork. It will be a bit sticky, that’s fine.
- Fasten a piece of baking paper inside a well-greased spring form and another piece in the base of the tin. Use a tin about 23cm in diameter. The paper will make it easier to remove the pie when it’s cooked. Spread the dough on the base and up along the sides a little. I used damp fingers and pressed pieces out and then pressed them together in the tin and slightly up the side.
- Pre-bake the crust for 15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and place the meat in the crust. Mix cottage cheese, cheese and egg together and then smooth carefully on top of meat.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes on lower rack or until the topping is golden. I put the grill on for a few minutes to finish it off.
- Serve with a fresh green salad or green veggies.
Tip: Place the spring form tin inside a large baking dish so that any ‘leaks’ do not drip into your oven!