Low Carb Bacon and Egg Mini Quiches
Use a 6 hole Texas muffin pan and ideally line with silicon muffin ‘cups’ for ease of handling and removal. Available from Stevens and similar kitchen shops.
- Packet (18 slices) of bacon. Rind removed (I use Henderson’s bacon which is additive free, preservative free, water free and naturally Manuka smoked. Available in supermarkets or from Henderson’s factory outlet in Porana Rd, Glenfield, Auckland.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- About ½ small red onion, diced
- Few chopped mushrooms and/or zucchini or small florets of broccoli
- Vintage or other strong cheese, grated (about 6 dsp)
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- Few pinches of dried mixed herbs
Wind 3 slices of bacon per ‘cup’ around the muffin liner, going from bottom to top. Beat eggs, cream, salt and pepper together and half fill each hole with the mixture. Add finely diced veggies of choice, then top up with the remaining egg mixture. Scatter grated cheese on top and place half a cherry tomato on top of the cheese and scatter each with a pinch of mixed herbs.
Bake in 200 deg C oven for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. I put the oven on fan grill for the last couple of minutes to crisp up the top slice of bacon.
Serve with a side salad or extra low carb veggies.