Creamy Cauliflower and Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large, thinly sliced leeks (white parts only)
- Few sticks of celery (optional)
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped roughly
- 1.6L chicken stock
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 rashers bacon, chopped and fried until crispy
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, leeks and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the cauliflower and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and use a stick blender to blend until the soup is completely smooth. Add cream, taste and season with salt and pepper, blend again briefly.
- Top bowls of soup with cooked bacon, or stir the bacon into the soup – it is delicious either way.
This makes a large amount of soup.