This is quite a common problem and while not always diet related, it does pay to ensure that your diet and lifestyle are not adding to the issue.
Here are some tips:
- Ensure you are drinking adequate fluid daily. Try the equation of your scale weight x 0.034 to get a suggested fluid intake. For instance 70 kilos x 0.034 = 2.38L per day. Teas count towards this total.
- Eat 4 cups of fibrous veggies/salad per day.
- Include fat in your diet. Avocado / quality oil / seeds / nuts / dark chocolate. In moderation.
- Regular exercise can help.
- If you are constantly stressed that may make the issue worse, try exercise, yoga and relaxation techniques.
- A very effective, gentle, product is Good Health Mg-Lax. A form of magnesium when taken as directed can be very effective. You may need to take it daily.
- If you need to take an iron supplement, take it in a liquid form or try Solgar’s non-constipating iron tablets from your chemist or health food shop.