Beef Casserole with Rich Tomato Sauce
- Cooking spray
- 700g beefrump or casserole steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- Few sticks of celery, sliced
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup chopped preserved lemon (or zest and juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus extra, to serve
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 Tablespoon of cornflour plus cold water to mix
The coriander and parsley are optional, you can add 1 teaspoon of dried thyme to the mixture with the spices instead if you prefer.
Coat a large deep frying pan with cooking spray and heat to medium/high. Dust beef in flour. Cook, stirring 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned, adding more spray if required. Transfer to a plate.
Spray pan again. Sauté leek and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Stir in spices. Cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.
Return beef to pan with stock, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, lemon and half the fresh herbs, if using. Season to taste and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Place lid on pan and cook until tender, 10 -30 minutes more. Thicken with cornflour and cold water mixed to a paste, then stir in remaining herbs if using. Sprinkle with extra parsley.